Whether you are building a new home or renovating your current one, one question that is always asked is how to know which type of insulation is best for your home. According to recent research, the majority of home builders still favor fiberglass insulation over other options. Out of the 1,600 builders who were surveyed, 71% use fiberglass insulation. Keep reading to learn more about fiberglass insulation and why it is so popular among home builders.
What is Fiberglass Insulation?
Fiberglass insulation is a type of insulation that is composed mainly of extremely fine glass fibers. It works as an insulator by trapping air and slowing the transfer of heat. Most often, fiberglass insulation comes in a blanket form; however, you can also find it in loose-fill form. Fiberglass insulation is an excellent choice for homeowners who are looking to save money or for those who are planning to complete the insulation installation job themselves.
The thickness of the fiberglass batts determines the resistance to heat flow, which is measured by the R-value. For walls, the R-value ranges from R11 to R19; for ceilings and attics, it can go up as high as R-30.
What are the Benefits of Using Fiberglass Insulation?
Just like with any type of insulation, fiberglass insulation provides the homeowner with quite a few benefits, including the following:
- Fiberglass insulation is inexpensive, effective, and easy to install.
- It is moisture resistant, which is great for homes in higher-humidity regions. Because it resists moisture, it is less prone to mold growth.
- You do not have to worry about insects eating the fiberglass insulation, as it is not nutritive to them.
- It has a reasonably long lifespan, usually lasting up to 50 years. Other insulations have a lifespan of only 10-30 years.
- Because fiberglass insulation is made from recycled glass, it is incredibly eco-friendly; this makes it one of the only eco-friendly insulation options.
- Fiberglass insulation is fire-proof. Because it is fire resistant, this type of insulation is a valuable addition to the home.
Why Do Home Builders Prefer Using Fiberglass Insulation?
Fiberglass insulation is not only one of the most affordable options for insulating a home, but it also tends to be one of the easiest and fastest insulation options to install, especially if the job is being completed by professionals. Fiberglass insulation has become the preferred choice of builders seeking safe, proven, cost-effective and more sustainable products.
Additionally, fiberglass insulation offers better recovery and stiffness to completely fill stud cavities. Because any issue with insulation can slow down an entire job, home builders also know that a clean, precise-looking install is a major help when it comes to inspection time.
Contact Our Office Today
At Reeves Insulation we know that insulating your home is a big investment and we want to do what we can to make your home more energy efficient! If you would like to know more information on the removal or addition of insulation in your home or schedule services, call or contact our office at 904-288-9913 today. Our team of experienced professionals is here to help you!